7.24.2015

How I've seen the Lord's hand in my life today:
1. prayer answered (help to feel less overwhelmed and happier)--an hour or two later, the inspiration came that what I'm eating has a huge effect on my mood.
2. prayer answered (help to feel less overwhelmed and happier)--remembering that the best way to overcome misbeliefs is through counteracting them right when they come--it's good to proactively create positive beliefs, but you've also got to replace the weeds when they do pop up. The term "misbeliefs" comes from the book Telling Yourself the Truth: Find Your Way Out of Depression, Anxiety, Fear, Anger, and Other Common Problems by Applying the Principles of Misbelief Therapy by William Backus. It is one of the most life-changing books I have ever read. I am grateful every day that Heavenly Father led me to it and I think everyone should read it!
3. Finding a pretty little barrette for one pound! Just because Heavenly Father loves me :')
4. prayer answered (seeing any instances where my efforts have made lasting change instead of surface change)--Realizing the (hopefully) lasting effect that cutting sugar (mostly) out of my life has had--even though I'm surrounded by the English foods I used to adore, they're not as appetizing to me now, because I've found something better--fresh food! We got some at the store today. Who knew that I'd ever be so excited for apples! I didn't even like apples before!
5. the thought that I can just make sharing tender mercies part of my scripture study so I don't forget to do it! ...now I just have to remember to do that. haha
6. Oh, also, I was led to a free 10K training plan! The ones I've seen before cost a lot.
7. Also, this was just cute and I didn't want to forget it. I asked my grandpa how he was doing, and he said (in his British accent): "Very well! Disgustingly well!" hahaha, I've never heard it put that way before, but maybe I'll start saying it and pass on the tradition.
8. prayer answered (to know that my efforts will make a lasting change)--I had the thought to really test it out with one or two things. That's the only way I'll really know. I would like to try this with both thoughts and actions. Last semester, I tried it with thoughts by thinking "It's not the end of the world" to help me not get upset with little things as easily. It definitely worked! I think that it's had a lasting effect on me...I think that in general, I don't get as upset as easily? At least, I hope so. So, with thoughts, I'd like to work for about ten weeks on repeating one thought to myself when misbeliefs arrive. It will be related to self-discipline: "I'll feel better once I do it." I think that will be a super important one.
As for actions, the one I'd like to work on consistently for about ten weeks (the 21-day rule is "poppycock and horsefeathers," according to the Guardian) is going to bed at 10 am and waking up at 6 am. While I'm looking at it, this article by the Guardian also points out some other important things: it's false to think that if you miss a day in retraining habits, that you've lost all your progress. That makes it harder to get back up. Also, habits are supposed to be hard to break--that's the point of habits. Also also, the article mentions that we need to look at if the habit is there to try to fill a need. If we also address the need, it will be much easier to break the habit. I also found out a few days ago that it's often hard to change our habits because the part of the brain that is in charge of habits, emotions, and memories (the basal ganglia) is different from the part of the brain that's in charge of decision-making (the prefrontal cortex). So, when you first start to change a habit, the basal ganglia sends signals that you're doing something wrong. (This thought is from The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg, as mentioned in this Forbes article.)
9. Another thought...perhaps I will keep track of my goals when I update this every day. It's worth a shot, eh? SO. My finish line will be October 3...actually, I've decided I don't like to think of my goals that way, because it makes me more daunted. Like "really? Do I think I can keep it up that long?" Instead, I'll try to get...100 days altogether. (That way, I think to myself "Okay, I've kept it up for three days so far. I want my max to be at least four.") So, every day I keep it will be a success, not a potential failure. Yes? No? Extending my comfort zone/limit has been one of the only ways I've succeeded in growing so far, so I think yes.

Man, look at that! At least nine ways Heavenly Father has been aware of me today! And it's not even 7:30! Also, I think I like numbering these...it helps me see the multitude of blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment