1.18.2010

My Family Can Be Together Forever

At the end of my life, I wouldn't regret that I didn't spend more time doing the urgent things. If I regret anything, it would be that I didn't spend more time on my closest relationships. And I refuse to have regrets! This subject is especially tender since I'm moving on to college in a few months. It's the saddest thing to think that I won't live with my family anymore (unless of course, I turn into hobo...not looking like a future goal of mine). Mum and Dad have sacrificed so much to give other people's children a better future. It hurts me to see my mum thinking she isn't a good mother because she gives so much of her time to serve others instead of her family. She doesn't realize that she's the greatest earthly mother ever! Bless her!

This year, own family theme is family unity, and to keep the momentum, we have a whiteboard we fill with individual and family goals for the week, as well as the family theme, a weekly quote about family, a "help a brotha out" list, an informal prayer roll, the schedule of when Dad is home from flying, any progress we have with our goals throughout the week, and the occasional owl doodle.

My family is more important than good grades, more important than friends, more important than church callings, more important than service projects. Don't get me wrong! I need all those other things - they're essential to life, they bring me joy, but they are not the most important. If homework, hanging out, or Young Women's handouts are keeping me from being close to my family, I need to have a sit-down session with myself! My life's goal is to get my family (present and future) back to Heavenly Dad. No other goal, no matter how valiant it may be, will distract me from that. Now, I'm not saying I'm going to spend every Saturday night with my family. All things in moderation! What I'm saying is that those family duties cannot get crowded out of my life. Just because Family Home Evening may not be urgent does not take away from the fact that it is important, Susannah! What can I sacrifice from my life to become closer to my family? Has texting distanced me from Mum? Can Neil and I hang out instead of both being on Facebook? Can I come straight home to do my homework so I'll have time to be with Dad? Can I make Alastair laugh so hard that he can't use his arms to get off the ground? (The answer is yes, yes I can. haha)

Man, I am so grateful that I have the chance to spend eternity with my family! How boring would it be if I was the only one saying "Ahh who!" or making snelephant noises? Who would I give hugs to?! Bottom line: I love my family. :) We're all getting back to heaven together and nothing will stop us.

No comments:

Post a Comment