10.15.2012

"By the grace of God I am what I am."

Thirty-eight years.

Can you imagine having a disability for that long? That's almost twice as long as I've been alive. To live my life twice over with a weakness hovering over me every day is painful to imagine.

That's how long the man at the pool of Bethesda lived with his infirmity.

I wonder how he felt each morning as he awoke. Did he feel hope that today someone would help him make it down to the pool in time? At some point did he despair, realizing he may never make it down?

Then one day Christ came. I wonder if on this day the man knew that his struggle was about to be lifted forever.

"When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole?

The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me.

Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk.

And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked". (John 5:6-9)

This man had gone to the world for help - he had received none. Then, within the time it took to speak those seven miraculous words, he took up his bed and walked. This is the power of grace.

"The main idea of the word [grace] is divine means of help or strength." (Bible Dictionary, "Grace") Another word for grace is the Atonement. Thus, we all need grace in our lives, whether it be to change from bad to good or good to better.

We access this grace through prayer. "Prayer can solve more problems, alleviate more suffering, prevent more transgression, and bring about greater peace and contentment in the human soul than can be obtained in any other way." (President Monson) Prayer is the most powerful tool we have.Whatever you are trying to overcome at the water's side in Bethesda, turn it over to Christ. When everything else has failed you, Christ will never fail you. Pray to be able to overcome your trials. Even if He does not immediately remove them, He will strengthen your back to carry them. He will answer your prayers. I testify of that. I have seen miracles.

If you are praying for answers, He will send answers. If you are praying for help to overcome a bad habit, He will help you, as long as you do your very best to help yourself. If your trials have turned you from Heavenly Father, turn back to Him. I promise that as you do so, you will feel His love and you will be able to understand. If your trials have left you feeling like the half-dead man on the road to Jericho in the parable of the Good Samaritan, pray. Heavenly Father hears your weakest prayers, as long as they are sincere. I can promise you that whatever trial you are facing, Christ will not fail you. You only have to reach out in prayer to access the infinite power of His Atonement.

Wilt thou be made whole?

1 comment: