7.28.2012

The 16 Random Tips for a Joyful EFY Experience

Wow. I just finished my week as an EFY counselor. It was beautiful. I love the youth! They brought the life back to me that finals sucked out. EFY always has such a good feeling about it. All those youth being strengthened has a way of bringing the Spirit. EFY definitely showed me some of my weakest spots, but it strengthened me as well, and I miss the people I've met. Memories have the blessing of removing the pains of the moment while golden-ing the good times. I felt completely inadequate this week, but I have learned that if I give up I will never grow. So I will not stop growing. Now that I have a moment to pause, the sadness is sinking in - I will miss this experience, but it has been great! Some things that I learned:
1. I must learn how to project my voice - it's hard to teach if you can't be heard.
2. BE PREPARED. Lessons are much easier that way!
3. Be yourself! The kids need you, not a shabby version of someone you think is better.
4. The kids like firmness, as long as it is done in a kind way.
5. If all else fails, the Golden Rule will apply evermore.
6. Follow the rules! TRUST ME.
7. Try to memorize names and facts as quickly as possible, and use them.
8. Make sure the girls meet up at the same time, or things will start off on the wrong foot.
9. DO NOT GO TO BED AT 3 AM :| If you do, you will be a grumpy counselor and Satan will attack you relentlessly with negativity and passitivity, which does not help your kids draw closer to Christ.
10. In relationships, you get back what you put in. If you don't show your girls love and reach out to them, they will not feel that closeness to you.
11. Put the rowdier kids in charge of helping you - they will step up to the plate and become one of your best tools!
12. Big groups of kids will pair up and move once you start walking. Not before.
13. Obedience is the first law of heaven.
14. The Lord sanctifies us one attribute at a time. Never give up!
15. All in all, remember that your main goal is to bring these kids closer to Christ. If you can help them do that, you have succeeded, no matter what else happens.
16. These kids are incredible. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment