11.19.2017

'Tis the Season to be Single

Y'all. Remember my post from the other day? Things are a lil different now. I don't know who was praying for me, but it helped! There I was last night, watching the Stranger Things 2 finale (party of 1) when I had some revelation. I remembered a time last year when I was really dreading winter. Nothing about it sounded very appealing (except Christmas and New Year's Eve) -- the wet, cold feet for four months, freezing weather, and especially the lack of sun. My favorite season is summer, so winter is my nemesis. Until I heard my friend say that her favorite season is winter. How?!

Somehow, the thought came to me that maybe if I tried to do the same things that people who love winter do, I could love it too. I could replace all the parts of winter that I hated with things that I could love. Around the same time, I found out about the Danish concept of "hygge," which is all about coziness, candles, time with friends, blankets, etc. Even though the Danes are in freezing, dark weather more than most people in the world, they have been ranked as some of the happiest. I think it's the hygge.

So, I went all out: hot chocolate, staying cozy, hitting up the Target Dollar Spot way too often to find beautiful decorations, Pinteresting up a storm, watching Christmas Hallmark movies to my heart's content. And it worked! I did love last winter and I plan on loving winter always now. (In fact, so much so that there was a drizzly day this summer and it kind of made me miss winter. Bona fide success!)

So, what does this have to do with airplanes? (President Uchtdorf reference) Nothing, but it does have to do with dating. Y'all. It is the single season for this girl. And I was really sad about it until last night. I realized that marriage isn't all happiness (despite what Disney has raised us to believe) and singlehood isn't all sadness. They are seasons! And -- as I found out with my winter experiment -- if you focus on the best parts of the seasons, you can learn to love all of them.

Image: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6bNJaoYUTc

No comments:

Post a Comment