4.23.2015

Scripture Power

"Your gospel study is most effective when you are taught by the Holy Ghost. Always begin your gospel study by praying for the Holy Ghost to help you learn. He will bring knowledge and conviction that will bless your life and allow you to bless the lives of others. Your faith in Jesus Christ will increase. Your desire to repent and improve will grow. This kind of study prepares you for service, offers solace, resolves problems, and gives you the strength to endure to the end." -Preach My Gospel, pg.

The scriptures are a very powerful way to help you do what is right. It is what helped me to come to Virginia. I remember one day needing courage to follow through with the prompting, and so I just opened the Book of Mormon and flipped randomly, page after page. Phrases like "blessed are they who will...hearken unto the voice of the Lord their God; for these are they that shall be saved", "they did pray unto the Lord their God continually, insomuch that the Lord did bless them", and even the warning stories of people who pridefully "depended upon their own strength" and "did walk after the desires of [their] own heart[s]"--these phrases gave me the courage and the perspective to act. I am so grateful for the scriptures. I feel like just reading them alone helps me to do what's right, even if I'm not aware of it. I know that they keep me on-track every day, remembering the things that matter most. They are the spiritual compass that helps me see where I may be getting off-course in my life so I can make course corrections. They are a spiritual measuring stick as I ask myself introspective questions. They invite the Spirit so that if there is more specific counsel just for me, I can hear it. They are my spiritual nourishment, and I will never stop reading them.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful, Suzy. You express yourself so well. We are truly blessed to have you as our daughter. I love how much the scriptures mean to you. What an example you are to us all!

    ReplyDelete